Best WordPress Plugins for Image Optimization and Compression: In today’s online business world, image is one of the most important types of content to have your audience hooked. Also, it can improve your branding as well as add new dimensions to your promotional campaigns. It is rightfully said, ‘An image is worth a thousand words,’ which is the reason people are using a lot of images on their websites too! But while doing so, they often use large images and burden their websites with significantly heavy pages and increased page loading speed. Not only does it negatively impact your user experience, but it also puts your SEO at risk.
If your website is based on WordPress, you have nothing to fear anymore because, in this article, we are going to mention the five best WordPress plugins for image compression. These photo compressor plugins will optimize your image size and shrink it to a size that’ll keep your page loading speed at check without compromising the image quality.
Why Use These Plugins?
– Benefits of Image Optimization Plugins:
- These plugins will reduce your workload by automatically optimizing the images when uploaded. So, you don’t need to optimize them manually.
- All these plugins are used by thousands of WordPress users, which makes them trustworthy.
- These plugins help to increase your website’s SEO ranking by improving PageSpeed.
– Almost every plugin has some form of a free plan. So, your pocket is safe!
Five Best WordPress Plugins for Image Optimization and Compression
So, without wasting a moment anymore, let’s have a look at the plugins that can save your website a lot of space and add to the user experience.
1. ShortPixel Image Optimizer
With over 200,000 installations, ShortPixel Image Optimizer can be a great choice if you are looking for the best image optimization plugin for WordPress! Once installed and activated, it will resize and compress your images automatically when uploaded.
How to Use
After activation, you need to enter your email and generate an API key. Once it is generated, you can validate it and go through a simple setting to get started. Also, the API key can be used across multiple websites.
- Right after activating the plugin, it starts compressing images instantly.
- Optimizes existing images on site in bulk.
- Both lossy and lossless image compression (glossy JPEG compression is very useful for photographers)
- Resizes images automatically to the dimensions set maximum.
- Compresses multiple file formats like JPG, PNG, GIF, and even PDFs.
- Stores the original file in a separate folder to access afterward.
- It can convert image files to WebP format.
- Cloudflare integration
- Compatible with WooCommerce and CDN
- Automatic Backups
It’s a freemium plugin that allows you to optimize 100 images every month for free without any size limits. After that, you need to subscribe to a paid plan. They have monthly and one-time subscription plans. The cheapest monthly subscription plan starts from $3.99/month (5000 images/month), and the cheapest one-time subscription plan starts from $9.99.
Imagify is the best free image optimization plugin for WordPress if you have many images that need to be compressed. While uploading an image, Imagify starts the optimization process. You can choose the optimization level as well that includes normal, aggressive, and ultra! This way, you’ll have more control over the optimized image quality.
How to Use
First, you have to install the Imagify WordPress plugin, and then like ShortPixel, Imagify also has an API key that needs to be generated to unlock the further interface. Furthermore, you can change the settings as to the compression level, auto-optimization, original image backup, etc.
- Original image backup.
- Creates and serves WebP images.
- Resizes the image dimension automatically.
- Auto-optimize images with three optimization levels.
- Generates custom folders outside the media library for optimization.
Just like ShortPixel, Imagify is also a freemium WordPress plugin for image compression. However, it does not count images as the quantifier for the packages. Rather this plugin gives you 20 MB free image compression storage per month. After that, you need to switch to a paid plan that starts from $4.99/month (500 MB/month) and goes up to $9.99/month (Unlimited).
3. Smush-Lazy Load Images, Optimize & Compress Images
Looking for the best free image optimization plugin for WordPress? Look no further because Smush can get everything done for you without costing a penny! Yes, you heard right. Smush is the best free image optimization plugin for WordPress. You can optimize unlimited images using Smush on its own server. Over 1 million installations of Smush makes it one of the most popular and best photo compressor plugins on our list.
How to Use
There’s no API key involved in this particular plugin. Just install and activate to get started. You’ll get a setup wizard to configure the settings of your choice. And you are good to go!
- Auto-resizes image dimensions.
- Offers a lazy loading feature for a better user experience.
- Capable of optimizing 50 images at once.
- Lossless Compression
- Automated Optimization
- Original image backup (paid).
- Uses CDN to serve images (paid).
- Auto-conversion from PNG to JPG (paid)
- Compresses multiple file formats like JPG, PNG, GIF
- Multisite Compatible
- Convert to WebP (Pro Only)
Although you can optimize unlimited images using Smush for free, this plugin also comes with a paid plan that includes advanced features absent in the free plan. When you move to the paid plan, it becomes a little costly as you need a WPMU DEV membership. It costs $19 per month. Without WPMU DEV membership, it costs $6 per month.
4. EWWW Image Optimizer
The next on our list of best free image optimization plugins for WordPress is EWWW Image Optimizer. This is a unique plugin that does not use an external server like ShortPixel or Imagify, so, you don’t need to register for an API key. With this plugin, you’ll use your own server and resources. However, you can sign up for an API for enjoying additional features.
How to Use
It does not require any API key generation, which is why you can install and activate it to get started. However, you’ll still need to make a few customizations in the settings. Loads of options in the settings are outstanding for experts but can be a little overwhelming for beginners.
- Supports JPG, PNG, PDF, and GIF optimization.
- PNG to JPG & JPG to PNG Conversion.
- Four optimization levels.
- Auto-optimization of images to maximum dimension.
- Creates WebP files.
- Supports CDN (Cloudflare, KeyCDN, MaxCDN, and Sucuri CloudProxy)
This is great if you are looking for the free and best photo compressor plugins. It’s free for unlimited usage. You just need to pay if you want to access the advanced features like CDN and/or multiple image compression levels. The standard paid plan has a cost of $7/month.
Optimole is one of the best free image optimization plugins for WordPress you can find on the internet. With a dashboard of its own, Optimole provides detailed information like a monthly report and optimization sizes. It also optimizes images automatically after setup. Being powered by CDN, it eliminates any worries about slow loading images even after optimization.
How to use
Like the three other plugins in this list, you need to register to get an API key from Optimole to start the process. Once you generate and insert the key, you’ll get a clean and modern interface in a user-friendly dashboard. Some settings need to be customized as per your preference.
- Auto-optimization of images.
- Uses CDN for better loading speed.
- Resizes images.
- Applies lazy loading for all images.
- Tracks and monitors images to inform how much space is saved.
It’s a freemium image optimization plugin for WordPress where you get a package of 5000 monthly visitors and unlimited bandwidth in the free plan, whereas the paid plan starts from $22.52/month that includes 25,000 visits/month, image optimization, Auto Scaled Images, etc.
A Detailed Comparison Between All Five Plugins
|Plugin||What’s So Special||Performance (File size reduction in our tests) (Original Size: 300 KB, JPG)||Free Plan||Starting Price for Premium Plan|
|ShortPixel Image Optimizer||It contains the sleekest interface with a range of advanced features (even in the free plan).||71.5%||✓||$3.99/month|
|Imagify||Best-in-class in terms of compression, easy-to-handle interface, and three-level optimization quality.||36%||✓||$4.99/month|
|Smush||Completely free for unlimited images (lossless compression) given the image is no more than 1 MB.||2.5%||✓||$6/month|
|EWWW Image Optimizer||Works on your own server, which eliminates relying on a third-party server. Also, it has no limit on the file size.||33%||✓||$7/month|
|Optimole||Pretty powerful plugin that tracks and monitors all the image compression programs and helps in space management.||52%||✓||$22.52/month|
By considering the performance based on file size reduction (without compromising the image quality), ShortPixel Image Optimizer is the best one.
As you can see, all these photo compressor plugins are quite similar to each other in terms of features. We have tried and tested all these plugins and presented them to you. However, picking up one as the winner seems unfair as all of them have their own advantages. So, it entirely depends upon your requirements and preference. So, which one is your winner?
We use the ShortPixel Image Optimizer plugin for all of our sites, and we also recommend this plugin.