Are you want to create a new FTP Account in your hosting cPanel? In this tutorial, we will show you how to create an FTP account in cPanel.
File Transfer Protocol (in short FTP) is a very simple and secure protocol for managing your website files. Using this protocol, you can easily manage your website files on your hosting server like uploading files from your computer to your server, downloading files from your server to your computer, creating a new folder on your server, deleting files from your server, etc. However, to use the File Transfer Protocol (FTP), you need an FTP account (both password and ID) and an FTP client to connect your home computer with your server.
By default, an FTP account is created when you sign up for hosting. To login to your existing FTP account, you need your cPanel account’s username and password. With your existing FTP account, you will get complete access to your cPanel. However, if you would like to create a new FTP account in your cPanel for other users, then follow the steps below.
How to Create an FTP Account in Hosting cPanel
1. Login to your hosting account
2. Go to the cPanel dashboard.
3. On your cPanel dashboard, go the ‘Files’ section and then under the ‘Files’ section, click on the ‘FTP accounts’ icon. In this tutorial, we have used GoDaddy cPanel.
4. On the next screen, in the login field, enter the user name for your FTP account. Note that your domain name will be added at the end of your user name, and your full user name will be ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. You have to select a domain or sub-domain if you have more than one domain. Below to Login field, the domain field will only appear when you have more than one domain in your cPanel.
4. In the password box, enter a password for your FTP account and re-enter the same password in the Password (Again) field. Note that you have to choose a strong password for better security.
5. Next, under the directory section, you have to choose a directory that you want to access through your FTP account. For example, if you choose the directory name is ‘public_html’, then you only able to access ‘public_html’ files through your FTP account. If you want to access your entire website through the FTP account, then you have to enter a slash (/) in the box.
6. At the bottom, under the ‘Quota’ section, you have to specify the maximum limit for your FTP account’s disk space. If you do not want to put any limit, select ‘Unlimited’. It is also possible to change the ‘Quota’ after creating an FTP account.
7. Click on ‘Create FTP Account’.
Now your job is done and you have successfully created an FTP account in cPanel. You will find your new FTP account in the FTP Accounts table. If you find any difficulties in creating an FTP account in your hosting cPanel, contact your hosting providers.